Durgan
Cool Member

Dracunculus vulgaris Pictures of growth and some information

11 March 2007 Zone 5. Three Dracunculus vulgaris bulbs were ordered last fall. Two in the pictures were planted on 4 October 2006. One bulb was planted in the outdoor garden and heavily mulched to see if it will survive the winter in Zone 5. It appears the two in the pots are doing well. It is my hope that I will have blooms this year. This is the first year for this plant. It is always fun to have a new rather exotic plant each year. The growth pictures will be updated when something epochal occurs.

I transplanted once to this larger pot on the 25 February 2007 , and observed that the root system is extensive almost filling the smaller pot. It is a warm day so I put them out into the sun even though there is snow on the ground.

https://www.paghat.com/voodoolily.html URL to some detail about the plant.

Durgan.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Durgan :) They look incredible. I have never heard of them. You say you are zone 5. What temperature range is that? I would love to have a go at growing these and seeing you are in Canada you must be colder there than in England. I have quite a sheltered garden. What soil etc. do they need?

Durgan
Cool Member

Jess wrote:Hi Durgan :) They look incredible. I have never heard of them. You say you are zone 5. What temperature range is that? I would love to have a go at growing these and seeing you are in Canada you must be colder there than in England. I have quite a sheltered garden. What soil etc. do they need?
21 March 2007. My soil is modified clay, and the growing season free of frost is from about 28 May to 20 September, with plenty of sun.

This is my first year growing this plant, so I don't have any hands on information.

It is till cold here,, so nothing is in the outside garden. Today is 5C and tomorrow it is going to 17C, this will be the highest so far this year. I really can't work the garden until sometime in April, depending upon the weather.

Durgan.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Just read the stuff on the site you mentioned instead of just looking at the pretty pictures. Stinky for one day! I think I can live with that. Let me know how the one you planted outside does as temperatures here are slightly warmer than yours. I have a damp semi-shaded border that I might try this in. :)

Durgan
Cool Member

Doesn't quite look like a rototiller.

Durgan.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”