OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Poinsettia

Is this Plant or Flower an Annual or is it a Perennial ? how can I grow this and the Conditions? I'm very interested on this plant and trying to grow it but I need more information on it, if anyone has any experience with it,.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Poinsettia is a tender perennial, native to Mexico, where they grow 8' tall. It gets damaged by temps below 50 degrees and probably won't survive below 45. Obviously in my climate, I have only ever grown them as house plants. They like bright indirect light and die promptly in any direct sun. In summer, I tried one once in a location that got a couple hours direct morning sun and it died almost immediately. It likes to dry out between waterings and thrives on a certain amount of benign neglect.

The red bracts that make them so showy are a specialized adaptation and take a fair amount of fussing with it with dark and light cycles to get it to produce those.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/container/2003/poinsettia.html]This article[/url] on poinsettias is on the front page of the Helpful Gardener website. (Yes, there's more here than just the forum! :D)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh Wow those plants are very picky and probably not worth growing them if they are going to be that picky, and thanks for the other site on the information.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”