nancygene

Oriental Lily and Flowering Fern question

I puirchased 10 Oriental Lily bulbs and one Flowering Fern bulb from the Home and Garden show yesterday and need to get them planted asap because the Oriental Lily bulbs have about 1 - 1 1/2" of sprout on them. I am wondering if I could plant them into 4" pots until after the danger of frost in our area (after Mother's Day)? Will I need to use self watering pots? This is my first year to attempt flower gardening and I saw some beautiful displays at the show. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

nancygene

I forgot to ask in my first post, but since the Oriental Lily bulbs have begun to sprout, do I still need to plant them deep until I can get them into the ground?

WildcatNurseryman

I am not familiar with a flowering fern, but the oriental lilies are very hardy and I would personally feel more conmfortable with putting them in the ground asap and letting Mother-Nature take it from there. Bulbs seems to find a way of rotting or developing disease at a greater rate when they depend on us to care for them.

Is the Flowering Fern, Gloxinia or Incarvillea? If so, it is marginal here in central KY, and is grown as such. Sorry I can't help you or there. I have begun to learn that I've got too many plants and too little time to chance it.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”