Pauline200
Newly Registered

Help with Sweet Peas please

I have sown Sweet Pea seeds and they have germinated lovely. My problem is they have grown very leggy. Should I nip the tops off so that they bush out or leave them to grow. If I leave them to grow what do I tie them to the stake with. The plastic coated wire I've used is not really ideal. Also when do I plant them in the ground. As you can guess I have not had very much success in the past, even though everybody tells me how easy it is.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I had a difficult time growing sweet peas. I read in one of my garden encyclopedias that they don't like to be transplanted, so I thought that might be the reason I had so much trouble with them. I followed the directions in the book, which as I recall, went as follows.

I sprouted the seeds between layers of damp paper towels, then dug a nice trench for them at the base of my fence. I inoculated the soil in the trench with a package of rhizobacteria, which helps peas and beans get started. (I bought it at a local garden store.)

Then, I carefully placed the sprouted seeds, which only had the root starting to emerge, in position in the trench and gently covered them with soil. I strung string up the fence for the vines to climb on. I had a wonderful display of the flowers that summer! They were absolutely gorgeous. :D

It may be very possible to start the seeds indoors and then set out the starts, but it never worked for me ... not even once. :( And I don't even try to grow them without using the soil innoculant now.

Pauline200
Newly Registered

Thank you for the advice but as I have already germinated mine for this year, I will try your way next year. Many thanks.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”