pinky
Newly Registered

Impatiens not flowering

Hi,
I live in an area where there is a lot of sunlight during the first half of the day. This is the time I water my plants and I also water my plants in the evening, almost like sprinkle a bit so that the plants look fresh in the morning.

I have few impatiens. When I bought them, it had many flowers, but then flowers started to disappear slowly. I hardly see any buds also. I have kept the impatiens in shade but sunlight does fall on them. Should this be completely be kept in shade?

I do not know what to do. Please help. javascript:emoticon(':(')

Thanks,
Pinky :( :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If they are getting indirect light or dappled sunlight, they should be fine with that. If they are getting direct mid-day sun, that could be part of the problem. But if that were the problem, you would likely be seeing bleached out or slightly burned/crisped areas where they got too much sun.

Otherwise possibilities are water issues, fertility issues, insects, or getting leggy, needing pruning. Impatiens never want to dry out, but if you are watering twice daily that should be plenty! I would avoid sprinkling; put the water at the base of the plant, to avoid problems with diseases. And they don't want to be over-watered or waterlogged either. If the soil around them is staying wet all the time, that's too much.

Impatiens are heavy feeders. You need to replenish the nutrients in the soil, by adding compost, other soil amendents, fertilizer (there are good organic fertilizers) etc. If there aren't enough nutrients in the soil, the plants won't bloom well.

If you you are sure neither of those are the problem, then check them very closely for insects.

Also, I don't know where you are in your season. But if the plants have been blooming for awhile, sometimes they get a bit spread out and leggy and don't bloom as well. Cutting them back can help keep them more compact and encourage more blooming.

HTH!!

pinky
Newly Registered

Oh Thank you Rainbow gardner, I think you have given me the right tips. :)

I don't remember when I put compost or solid fertilizer last. I have crystal fertilizer (NPK) and some more nutrients which I dissolve in water and use. I am going to feed them with some food this weekend. :)

I did notice slightly burnt or crisped areas. I have now moved it to shade wherein they get sunlight only for sometime in the morning.

Thank you so much Again! :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”