Dixana
Greener Thumb

Morning sun only....

I'm starting seeds to fill in the landscape around my house. The eastern side is where the majority of the beds are located and the beds on the north side of the porch get only a few hours of morning sun.
what types of things would grow well with only morning sun?

superschwein22
Cool Member

Violets come to mind. I haven't grown them myself but I believe I heard that they prefer to only have sun for a few hours in the first half of the day. They are real pretty, too.
If you're looking for perennials then maybe Primrose?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have an area on the north side of my house like that. I grow impatiens there, along with sweet violets. I have volunteer cyclamens growing there, also, compliments of the birds.

If you want a shrub, azaleas and rhododendrons like that kind of exposure, as do camellias and hydrangeas.

Ferns, some of which get quite large, like shaded areas. And I have bleeding hearts that like living in my back yard (eastern exposure) under the trees, where they get only a few hours of morning sun. Snowdrops bloom very early and like shady areas, and I have hellebores blooming out under the trees in my back yard right now.

I would suggest that you experiment with a variety of flowers that require partial sun or partial shade. Every home has microclimates, and you might be surprised at what would grow for you in those beds. :)

applestar
Mod

Remember that if this is true north side of the house, the area will get more and more sun as the sun rises further north of east and sets further north of west as the season progresses. If it is either more east or more west than true north, the area will also get stronger, higher elevation sun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are lots of beautiful flowers for part sun areas. Amongst (cold hardy) perennials, this includes, columbine, coral bells, foxglove, bleeding heart, bellflower, daylilies, astilbe, obedient plant, tiarella...

Ferns and hostas also do well in those conditions.

Since you are in this planning process, you may enjoy this plant finder:

https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/

It is a searchable database. You can tell it what you are looking for (annuals, perennials, shrubs, etc), your zone, your sun and moisture conditions. If you want you can even specify how tall a plant you want, what color, bloom season, foliage, even look for plants with extra attributes like fragrance, attracts butterflies etc... Put in what you are looking for and it will give you a list!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Awesome! Thanks rainbow. And BTW, congratz on 10,000 post holy bananas!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thank you. :) I did mark that event:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=238355#238355

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”