Shah Jahan
Newly Registered

Strongly Scented, Evergreen, Pot-Plantabe, Day-blooming?

Hello.

I have no idea about plants but wish to learn from the experts.

I've fallen in love with my Raat ki Rani (Queen of the Night, Night-blooming Jasmine) plant and now wish to have a similar plant which blooms in the day.

I'm looking for a plant that is,
→ Day blooming
→ Has a VERY strongly scented flowers (like Raat ki rani) which can be smelled from a long distance,
→ Should bloom in all seasons
→ Should be plantable in pots which are fairly big in size (1 foot long by 1 foot in diameter)
→ Can be grown in Mumbai's (Bombay, India) climate

PS: It DOESN'T matter if the plant/flower is ugly or grows unruly and dense.

Thank you very much for answering my question. I appreciate it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know anything about plants of India or the Mumbai climate. But if you google "fragrant flowers of India" you will get several hits, including this one:

https://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/fragrant.html

The Nepal trumpet flower is an evergreen.

Frangipani and ylang-ylang are among the world's most fragrant flowers, both being frequent perfume ingredients.

Even in your climate, blooming year round is a bit of a tall order. Most plants need some rest period after months of producing blooms.

Incidentally, your profile picture is kind of cool in a very British colonial way....

Shah Jahan
Newly Registered

Thanks for your reply.
rainbowgardener wrote:I don't know anything about plants of India or the Mumbai climate. But if you google "fragrant flowers of India" you will get several hits, including this one:

https://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/fragrant.html

The Nepal trumpet flower is an evergreen.

Frangipani and ylang-ylang are among the world's most fragrant flowers, both being frequent perfume ingredients.
I've been to that site and the one that I was considering was Hari Champa (Ylang Ylang Vine). It does grow in Mumbai's climate BUT after months of hunting for it, I didn't find it!
rainbowgardener wrote:Even in your climate, blooming year round is a bit of a tall order. Most plants need some rest period after months of producing blooms.
The Raat ki Rani (Queen of the Night, Night-blooming Jasmine) blooms year-round, but do take a week or two between blooms. So I planted several of them, but somehow they ALL bloom at once! :?
rainbowgardener wrote:Incidentally, your profile picture is kind of cool in a very British colonial way....
Thank you. That picture is of Al Pacino playing Michael Corleone from The Godfather.

balconygardenweb
Newly Registered

Fragrant plants for India that can be grown in container:
1 Gardenia blooms all year, sweet fragrance
2 Bally of India blooms all year, highly fragrant
3 Honeysuckle
4 Michelia Champaca

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”