Aorourke
Cool Member

How to prepare container bulbs for winter?

We are heading to Scotland in under 2 weeks so we are trying to get the garden winter ready before we leave.
I have planted some bulbs in containers, the flowers are dead but o don't know what to do with them. Ideally I'd like to plant them in the ground but I don't think I'm going to have the time to do that before we leave.
We will be back the 11 th November. It that too late to plant them if the weather is on our favor?
If not what should I do with them in their containers?

I don't know what they are called as there was a stand in the garden centre 10 bulbs for so many $ and I dint pay attention to what they were called.
They are very long stems at least 2 feet or so and there are several flowers that come of the long stems. At least 3 or 4 per bulb.
Thanks for any advice! :)

Aorourke
Cool Member

Just found them they are Gladiolus.

applestar
Mod

If they are gladiolus and you live in Ontario, Canada, I do not think you want to plant them outside this fall. Gladiolus needs to be protected from severe freeze unless they are the hardy species which most of the time they are not.

Here in NJ, we dig them up and keep them in freeze-free location then plant them in spring.

Aorourke
Cool Member

Would the basement be an o.k. place to keep them? It's not a finished basement. It's cool down there but not cold. I think the garage will be too cold as it's not insulated at all.
I'm glad I just out them in containers this spring then and not in the ground.

Thank you!

Aorourke
Cool Member

Thanks for the info! :) also do I need to keep watering them all winter? or are they in hibernation until I plant them in spring?

Amy Dube
Newly Registered

Aorourke,
Gladiolus, as Applestar noted, should not be planted in the fall. These are summer flowering flower bulbs and should be planted in the spring time when the ground is warmer. The gladious corms are not hardy and will not be able to withstand the winter.

Once you have taken the corms out of the ground, brush off lightly (do not wash) and remove any old corms. Allow them dry out for a week, place in a sunny area can be indoors. (60-70 degrees F) Then simply place corms in a paper bag. Store for the winter at 35-40 degrees F indoors. A cool basement is quite suitable just don't let the corms freeze.

Happy Storing!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”