sweetheart591
Newly Registered

Need A New Garden Plan

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have quickly been able to tell how helpful everyone is and was hoping someone can give me some suggestions too.
I live in a townhouse with a very small front lawn. Currently, I have grass & a semi-circle bed in the front. This summer I had Zinnias planted in front of the Echinacea which are still in the back, but am looking for a new plan for Autumn. The shrub in the front is a Ducher Rosebush(which is the hardiest thing I've ever seen...unkillable!)which I would like to stay there. My home is 12'6" wide, so my bed is about 12' by around 3' . I can enlarge it if necessary. What should I do with the echinacea? I really like them...but should they stay? Will they grow in a container on my back patio? My front yard faces Southwest, by the way. Thanks for all your help, I've attached a link with pictures.
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/32620833@N03/sets/72157627634892505/[/url]

sweetheart591
Newly Registered

I forgot to mention, I'm in Louisiana, zone 8.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't get your pic to work. Is there an error in the URL? :?

sweetheart591
Newly Registered

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/32620833@N03/sets/72157627634892505/]my flickr page[/url]

Try this one?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Much better! Thank you! :)

sweetheart591
Newly Registered

Marlingardener,

The shrub is actually a rosebush(Ducher Rose...not sure on spelling) and it grows like a weed and has some flowers most of the year...I think I just need to prune it more often because I actually have no other place to put it in the ground, as my back patio is a simple concrete slab(which I'll have to tackle later).

I do like the suggestion of skullcap. I was thinking snapdragons this autumn, but I read that skullcap does not require much care...and that makes me happy.

I was also thinking of planting some bulbs(Daffodills & Dutch Iris) underneath some shorter pansies & petunias. How does that sound?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Why even have grass. A goat could eat it in a NY minute. You don't have much room for woody plants so why not different groundcovers that reach different heights giving the illusion of grass. Soapwort is one, there are many others, I am just having a senior moment, and introduce some daylilies, and some others with height in the back. Grass should have huge expaneses not cubby holes. there are some perennials that can be walked on for those who need to cut corners.

sweetheart591
Newly Registered

bullthistle, Thank you for your suggestion of using soapwort. It is a rather pretty perennial. Personally, I like having a bed against the grass because a.) Most other condos have either only grass or grass with a bed, and I believe it makes the whole complex look more uniform that way(I'm also on the HOA), and b.) I don't, honestly have the time, skill, or desire to plant that entire square. I do like your idea of using soapwort though, and will need to find a place to get it. Also, daylilies remind me of my grandmother, and would also be a welcome addition!

sweetheart591
Newly Registered

Thanks to everyone for your input and ideas! I've planted some snapdragons, daffodil bulbs and petunias. I hope they work out for me!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”