Freind

Hyacinth, Tulips and Daffodils.

From many years I'm trying to plant hyacinth but I always miss the season. But this year I'm pretty much prepared. I live in zone 9. When I went to get some bulbs some suggest it won't grow in zone 9 and some say it do. I also chat with one on online seller they suggest me for the force bloom. So anyone advice what I have to do and what are my options. Please also advise about the forcing process.

And I'm also planning to plant some tulip and daffodils with hyacinth and I request opinion on these also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Louisiana is probably not the best climate for growing that kind of spring bulbs. They are adapted to climates with winter. Tulips for example need a minimum of 6 weeks when the temps stay below 40 degrees (day and night) and preferably two months of temps around freezing.

You can provide this by refrigerating your bulbs. But you can grow so many wonderful tropicals that I can't. Why not grow stuff that likes your climate, instead of trying to imitate mine?

Freind

Thanks, Thats a valuable advise which will save my money and time.
Can you advise some flowers names which grow good in my area. I prefer with fragrent also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say whether it's a sunny area or not, so here's a mixture.

Since you were looking for spring blooming bulbs, these are all spring blooming flowers, that like zone 9, and have fragrant flowers:

*blue corydalis (shade to part sun)
*tiarella/ foamflower (low spreading plant) (shade to part sun)
*creeping phlox (ground cover that gets covered in little flowers) (full sun)
*primrose (small plant with big flower) (part shade to part sun)
*ipheion/ spring starflower (part shade to full sun)
*heliotrope (deliciously fragrant purple flowers) full sun
*gladiolus (tall plant with big showy fragrant flowers - people grow them here, but dig them up and bring the bulbs in for the winter, you could leave them in the ground) (full sun)
*peace lily (nice dark green foliage with beautiful brilliant white flowers, grown as house plants where I am) (shade to part sun)

I found these suggestions for you from here:

https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/

It's a plant data base. You tell it your zone, your conditions (sun exposure, moisture, etc) and what you are looking for (annual, perennial, ground cover, shrub, etc) and you can specify bloom time, color, special characteristics like the fragrance and it will pop you up a list of plants that meet your specs. Then you can click on anything in the list and it will give you some info and a picture about that plant. So you can look those up and see them and get more info and you can play with the db on your own. Have fun!

Freind

Thanks Rainbowgardener, you have provided me very usefull info and thats highly appriciated.

Half of my front garden gets morning sun and half evening sun and my back garden get all day sun.

I always have problem with my evening sun area. Most Flower don't bloom so fast in that area. Few months back I bought Lantana just because I found its very hardy. It grows well, I mean the leaves looks healthy but no blooming. And from last few days I'm saws it start blooming. So do you have any idea that what it the problem and what I have to do.

Thanks.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”