Shannonhsv
Newly Registered

What kind of Flower/Shrub is this?

Hi All !
I too am new to the forum. We moved to Arkansas in August and inherited a interesting plant on our property. It resembles a gardenia bush, in fact in September it had a couple of white flowers about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. The bush sported about 50 nice size buds. I assumed it was a Gardenia.
Then within the month the buds started turning red and have started blooming. They certainly resemble roses, are also quite large and dense, however where did the white flowers come from a month earlier? I have made certain that there is but one plant. Please go to address below to view plant. I really appreciate it as I couldn't get it to upload on Imageshack...
Thanks, Shannon

[img]https://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/355511066_6df6b55580.jpg[/img]

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Shannon,

Congratulations on your new home and welcome to The Helpful Gardener. Your shrub appears to be a Camellia. There are several different species with some that bloom in fall or early winter and some that bloom in spring. Mine bloom in late fall. Not sure why the first buds were white, but I suspect that may have been what is called a sport. Something happens in the genes of the plant and a branch or two will 'sport' with a different habit of some sort. Many of these shrubs are bred for different qualities and some of the parent genes may have appeared.

Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”