buzzcut

'bright lights' cosmos......

in the spring, received a packet of these in the mail---along with some other gardening information. so, I found a space in the garden and planted the seeds. now, they are about 4ft high and I haven't seen a bud yet.

planted them rather close together, so, now they resemble a tall ornamental grass ;)

actually, what they do look like are my double fern leaf peonies on STEROIDS! lol (without any buds, of course).

would think at least one of the plants would form a flower. maybe that is why they were free and sent in mail. ;)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They usually flower quicker when its dry! I have alot of them and love the way they look. The stems will hang down and sometimes break but continue to bloom. I got alot of seeds from mine yesterday! I have one tall cosmo that has no blooms on it yet but you can see where it is forming flowers!
+++You can take one of the long stems and break it off and start another plant just by puttingt it in the water for a few days before planting! Mine are pink with some white and a few dark red. I have some that grew in the gravel drive way and only got a foot tall with flowers. I planted several of the drive way plants and in a week they doubled in size in the garden!! They are very harty plants and can be transplanted even when full grown!

buzzcut

this is first time I have grown bright lights cosmos. I usually plant the orange cosmic cosmos---which blooms very quickly. color is so vibrant when planted with sweet potato vine marguerite (as a ground cover). I added canna tropicana to them one year---pretty impressive. just wish my tropicana would have survived tucked away in the basement.

anyway, just didn't know it would take this long to flower---aug. 24th and I think I have found the formation of one bud!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have ones that grew in the gravel from last year that have flowers and are only 9 inches tall. My ones in the garden are 4 foot tall with 10 big branches and 50 flowers on the branches!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”