buzzcut

annual red salvia.......

I have purchased this plant at local garden centers on a number of different years. thinking it would catch the eye of some hummingbirds. after last year's experience, figured I would give it up. they just never seemed to do very well---for one reason or another.

this year I planted a number of different wave petunias in the same spot I have planted salvia. which, btw, have just gone crazy! very impressed.

I was out one day pulling weeds and noticed a volunteer salvia growing amongst the petunias. had to be a volunteer from last year. anyway, was thinking about yanking it, then decided to let it grow and see how it does.

now THAT's the red salvia I was hoping for! the blooms are very impressive!

I am wondering if I would be better off looking for seed and dropping seed in an area where I might want to grow salvia---instead of taking them from flats and planting them? I'd have red salvia quite often if they came like this plant is!

anyway, just thot I would share my experience with the annual salvia.

happy gardening!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

That why in some people's compost pile they have better vegeys then what they had in the garden. the odds are great unless you tied something to the salvia to collect the seeds you probably wouldn't have much luck otherwise. Always great to get a suprise.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”