john gault
Green Thumb

Hibiscus Dies every year -- now

I just saw a thread on hibiscus, so I thought I'd share my hibiscus story.

I have had a hibiscus for a few years now and it got to a height of about 6ft. Until the winter of 2009 it got very cold here and killed the bush. Grew back in the spring only to die back again in the winter -- again very cold. And again it died last winter. Now it's about 18-24" and just started flowering, but I expect it to die again this winter if it gets so cold.

We use to have very mild winters here and that's why my hibiscus could grow through the winter and attained good height, but now since it dies every winter it's only able to grow to about 2 feet and then is killed by the cold winter. Any one else seeing a change in weather patterns? Or have we just had some unusual winters?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Unfortunately, it is most likely climate change. The models 15 years ago, showed that weather would become more stormy unsettled and that some places would get far less water and a lucky few more. Of course only a few of us believed the models at the time.
You might try getting heavy guage row covers and wrap the plants in them loosely. That will allow them to withstand lower temps, without freezing out. I am guessing you don't want to bring it in. Some say burlap will do the same thing, but I haven't tried that myself.

john gault
Green Thumb

john gault wrote:I just saw a thread on hibiscus, so I thought I'd share my hibiscus story.

I have had a hibiscus for a few years now and it got to a height of about 6ft. Until the winter of 2009 it got very cold here and killed the bush. Grew back in the spring only to die back again in the winter -- again very cold. And again it died last winter. Now it's about 18-24" and just started flowering, but I expect it to die again this winter if it gets so cold.

We use to have very mild winters here and that's why my hibiscus could grow through the winter and attained good height, but now since it dies every winter it's only able to grow to about 2 feet and then is killed by the cold winter. Any one else seeing a change in weather patterns? Or have we just had some unusual winters?
I hope I don't jinx myself, but this has been a very normal winter so far. By now my Hibiscus would be on death's door (like it has for the last 3 winters), but it's just fine and I'm thinking it will survive the winter. Even my banana trees are growing, albeit very slowly, but they should also be dead by this time of year. Right now it's somewhat cold and has been for a few days, but it was sunny and warm much of last week and suppose to be starting on Tuesday and onward.

I'm betting my Hibiscus will be at least 6 ft by the end of spring and I'm sure much taller by the end of the coming summer. It's now over 4ft tall.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have some hibiscus and it dies back every winter. The roots are planted close to the foundation of the house, and apparently receive enough heat from the house that the roots have survived for years. It grows to 5 or 6 feet each year and blooms beautifully. I just thought that they were supposed to die back each year.

john gault
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I have some hibiscus and it dies back every winter. The roots are planted close to the foundation of the house, and apparently receive enough heat from the house that the roots have survived for years. It grows to 5 or 6 feet each year and blooms beautifully. I just thought that they were supposed to die back each year.
In Northern Utah, I'd imagine that is what they're suppose to do, but not in Florida.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”