GFP63
Newly Registered

Giant Pink Mandevilla Mystery

I have a couple of Giant Pink Mandevilla planted in pots climbing the front columns of my house. They have been there for about 2 months and doing beautifully. Whenever they are watered the water is quickly absorbed into the soil.

Yesterday - in the midst of this heat wave no less - I noticed one of the plants was very wet, puddling in the soil, which was odd because it has not been watered and all the other plants around it were dry. This morning - same thing. The soil is mysteriously very damp.

I am baffled, and hope this is not the beginning of the end for this plant, like drowning in its own... whatever.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You obviously have a leak and if you cannot solve it raise the crown of the plant above the soil level so it does not puddle.

GFP63
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply, however I have to disagree with this being the problem. There has been no rain and 90+ heat for the last week. Even so the plant is not in a position to be affected by any leak from the roof. I did put some extra soil in the pot to absorb some water which has seemed to help in that regard. Nonetheless as of this morning the plant is looking rather sad. :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would pull the plant out of the pot (which can be done without harming it) and take a look at what is going on. The plant is not giving off all that liquid. So maybe the drain holes in the pot got clogged? Or something else is happening that is keeping water from draining from the soil it is in. The plant is looking sad because it is getting waterlogged.

So figure out why, give it fresh soil, and see what happens. Be careful not to over water.

GFP63
Newly Registered

Thank you rainbowgardener. That makes sense. Look for the simple solution(s) first.

I did what you suggested and there was indeed an inch or so of water at the bottom of the pot/planter (the plant is in a nondescript pot which is inside a more decorative planter). I did/could not see what was holding the water in, but I removed the plant from both, punched more drainage holes in both, and currently have the plant only in the inner pot. A few hours later and it seems to be improving. :clap:

I will let it bask in the sun this afternoon and return it to the decorative planter tomorrow - maybe.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”