Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Naturtium a great companion plant and salad addition!

How many of you grow natutiums to eat?. The flowers are very good and my rabbits love them also! I did not realize how good they are around other plants to deter all kinds of bugs. Fro now on I will grow them aound my zucchinnis!

I like the shape of the leaves and how many types of flowers they come in! I have two growing within a foot of each other and one has light green leaves and the other dark green with different color flowers! Is it pratical to grow them in a bed like lettuce? Can you eat to many? Why don't they serve them in resturents?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Just make certain you wash well because there could be traces of urine.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Nasturtiums are a cool weather crop. I had a couple of pots, and they burst out in bloom in May, beginning June, then we had unseasonable Hot temps.

As for restaurants having them, need a local grower to deliver very fresh. I brought some to my restaurant I was dealing with. They put them in little vases on the counter. They are so fleeting in season here, the chefs are bewildered. I also had them out at the farmers markets (I do 2/week), and sales slow on them. Again, so short seasoned people are confused.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

In Pa. here mine stay active all summer producing seeds and spreading like a vine! I pic leaves all summer both from garden and large pots! They are great in a planter with other flowers since they spread over the sides and look good with the green sweet potato vines!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I took a half dozen nasturtiums into my solar greenhouse in nov and they are growing huge in the 40 degree temp. the leaves are so pretty with their odd design. My rabbits love them and especially the flowers! they are great is salads. I may add them to my cole slaw to see how they fit in! The flowers are great in the salad. I am planting them everywhere nextyear along with new 18 inch cosmos I just got in!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have some growing now. The pants got all bushy and just now one of them is putting out a flower. I see more buds but they flowers are not open yet. I have eaten some of the leaves but not the flowers yet. I wanna collect some seeds then I will eat the flowers.

When the Nasturtiums were smaller they were getting attacked a lot by cabbage worms, but they seem to leave them alone now.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The seeds are big and take alot of time to produce and usually just fall to the ground! It seems that there are way more flowers than seeds so every flower does not seem to produce a seed. Does anyone know about the seeds and flowers on Nastutiums?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”