Yogas
Cool Member

Chrysanthemum - root from cuttings?

Is it possible to root Mums from cuttings? How do you propogate them?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It seems one of the easiest to root but if the plant is in good soil why not just divide after flowering. Take a cutting about 6 leaf nodes, strip the bottom two of leaves, get some rootone, a light soil mix of peat, vermiculite and a cover of plastic to keep the moisture in but leave it in the shade and keep it moist but do not drown it. I'd say 3-4 weeks under optimium conditons and it should root or try a couple in water.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

As bullthistle has noted, mums can be propagated by either root division, or by rooting cuttings. Personally, I think root division is the simpler and faster of the two methods, but it does require that you have an established clump of mums to start with.

To divide the roots, you just dig up the entire clump and use a sharp knife or spade to cut it into sections. Like irises, clumps of mums tend to die in the center, leaving a circle of new growth around the perimeter. When you divide the clump, you cut off that section of the dead center before you replant the sections.

If you're taking starts from a friend's mums, however, you may have to resort to cuttings, unless your friend is generous enough to give you a section when they divide the roots of a clump.

[url=https://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/3-14-1997/mumprop.html]This article[/url] by the Iowa State University Extension Service offers detailed instructions for the propagation of mums. :)

Yogas
Cool Member

Thanks so much. I like to plant Mums in the spring rather than buy them in September and pay a fortune. I was lucky enough to have some come back on their own this year (here in Chicago, that's always hit or miss). Since I'm asking, is there any way to start them indoors in the Winter so that I can plant in the spring?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It would have to be done with cuttings, and while it might be possible to do it, most cuttings root better in the spring, rather than in the fall. However, geranium cuttings are routinely taken in early fall, rooted over the winter, and planted in the spring. I think mums would be successful, too, although I haven't done them myself.

One key would probably be providing the cuttings with bright enough light. A second important point, though, might be the stage of development of the stems from which the cuttings were taken. It could be that only softwood cuttings will root, which may be why it's recommended to take cuttings in early spring. Perhaps you could start cuttings in early spring, keep them alive in containers over the winter, and plant them in your garden the following spring? :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”