Ecnerwal
Newly Registered

Only easy if you know the answer

A friend has asked me to help with redoing her front garden borders. She's got millions of plants, some of which she wishes to keep. Problem is, we don't know their names, making it difficult to put together a good planting plan. Can anyone help, please? I've hyperlinked the photos below. Thanks in anticipation!

https://www.photobox.co.uk/album/756705271

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Wow they must have some garden however my expertise in perennials is propagating them not identification however to make certain I don't draw the rath of the perennial experts I would say #33 is a bleeding heart and #36 is an iris but what kind I don't have a clue. I hope others rescue you. Great shots by the way.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Goody! I love plant ID.

Plant 01 is likely a Hydrangea, but not realizing its full potential.
Plant 03 - I want to say that's a rose, but looking at the habit I'm more convinced of Japanese Knotweed.
Plant 04 looks like a variegated Cornus (Dogwood).
Plant 06 looks like a Milkweed of some sort.
Plant 07 is something in the Blueberry family (Ericaceae) - what, I couldn't say without seeing open flowers.
Plant 08 is a daylily of some sort - Saskatchewan or Tiger lilies look similar.
Plant 09 are Columbines (Aquilegia) - a closeup of the flowers would confirm this almost instantly.
Plant 11 looks like Zebra Grass.
Plant 14 looks like Columbines (Aquilegia spp)
Plant 24 is Centaurea cyanea, Common Cornflower.
Plant 25 looks like Peonies of some sort. If that's what they are, you should see ants on the flower buds (they won't open without 'em.)
Plant 26 is Bleeding Hearts
Plant 29 - there are two plants in this picture. Something Borage/Comfrey-ish, and an Iris of some sort (without the flower, it will be impossible to say which).

I'll come back and tackle more later.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Although one of our members has generously identified many of the photos, I'd like to say that linking 36 photos together and asking for ID is asking a bit much of the good will of the members.

Please: break them down into smaller groups, no larger than 6 to 8 per group. More than that becomes unwieldy when the discussion then veers to "How do I take care of them?"

Thank you.

Cynthia H.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”