Amberlabamba
Newly Registered

How to collect Seeds from Agapanthus

Hello!

I have 2 agapanthus plants in my garden. The flowers have turned into seed heads but most are still green.

Can I plant these as they are to produce new plants, or do I need to wait for them to dry out first.

Can't seem to find a definitive answer.

HELP! :roll:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Amber,

You will need to let the seed pods start to turn brown and they should open.

Newt

Amberlabamba
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for that. Do the seeds need to dry on the plant or can I remove them from the plant and dry them in the house? :?:

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! The seed doesn't seem to remain viable for long, so I'd say to sow when fresh. You could tie a mesh bag around the seed pod so the seeds would drop into the bag. In nature they would fall to the ground and germinate. From this site:
https://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/agapanpraecox.htm
Seed can be sown fresh, in late summer - autumn, but in cold climates it can be kept refrigerated (not frozen) and sown in spring. It must be kept in the refrigerator or it will perish. Seed should be sown in deep (10 cm) trays, in a mixture of equal parts river sand and fine compost, and kept semi-shaded and moist. Seed germinates readily within six to eight weeks. The seed should be sown thinly as the seedlings will stay in the tray for their first year. Seedlings should be potted up into individual containers during their second year and can be planted into the garden or permanent pots in their third year. Flowering can be expected from their third or fourth year.
Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”