NIKKI316
Newly Registered

WHAT KIND OF PLANT IS THIS

I recieved these plant cuttings from a friend and just planted them she was unsure of what kind of plant this is. I think she said it was from Jordan. I am now having difficulty keeping it alive I am not sure if I am overwatering it or if is has some kind of fungus disease. Please Help I really don't want it to die.

The leaf starts to get yellow spots then starts to wilt and die in those areas evenetually killing off the whole leaf.

Here are some pictures of the plant.

I hope I did this right

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59222899@N00/?saved=1

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Looking at the pictures alone I would say that there might be a Nitrogen deficiency. Though, whatever is happening here is very serious perhaps bleaching of the plant.

Have any synthetics been added to the plant recently?

NIKKI316
Newly Registered

She said that she had an ant problem and sprayed around the plant some may have gotten on the plant. Nitrogen Problem does that mean I waited to long before putting it in soil. I was not sure when to put it in the soil I am a newbee so I just waited until a saw a reasonable amount of roots before potting it. Can I fix a nitrogen problem? :roll:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yes, you can fix a nitrogen problem. The common way is to go buy what we call Blue Goo (Miracle Gro). Might be hard to organically add nutrients in the middle of a city unless you know someone with a compost pile. If you DO, though, eggshells and grass clippings are great sources of nitrogen!

NIKKI316
Newly Registered

:D Thanks I will go raid the park with scissors in hand, crack some eggs and hunt down some miracle grow.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, Miracle Grow (in the form of synthetic fertilizer) is probably one of the worst things that you can do for the plant and the soil that surrounds the plant. A better solution would be to add some composted manure. I always like to add some mulched up leaves as well but, it's up to you. I think that the issue here is a Nitrogen deficiency, but anything else that anyone can bring up to help this poor plant, is muchly appreciated.

I believe that Miracle grow does sell compost and manure now, but, there are cheaper sources (from local farmers, it can even be free).

NIKKI316
Newly Registered

Thanks but I live in brooklyn and the plant is in the house so I will have to stick with whats baby and husband friendly for now. I believe the plant is called a beefsteak magilla. Someone sent me a picture and I believe they are the same plant.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Nikki,

I think the proper name for your plant is Perilla Magilla 'Vanilla' as it has the white in the leaves. I think the spots on the leaves you see could be from overwatering. It likes full to part sun if the temps aren't too high and it's indoors. Good drainage and water when the top inch of soil is dry and you will make it happy. Just insert your finger in to the first knuckle to see if it's dry.
https://www.simplybeautifulgardens.com/plant_info.aspx?phid=071804735007843
https://images.google.com/images?q=Perilla++magilla&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=20&sa=N&ndsp=20
https://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Perilla_Magilla.html

A great organic fertilizer would be fish emulsion or fish emulsion mixed with seaweed or sea kelp. You can find that at most garden centers and big box stores that sell plants. Synthetics like Miracle Gro have residual salts that can build up in pots over time and are often too strong for your plants.

Newt

Grey
Greener Thumb

Might want to warn that fish emulsion stinks, and may not be the nicest smell indoors. I use and love the stuff, but not on my indoor plants. I am all for organic, but the safest thing smell-wise indoors is finished compost.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Well, I wouldn't put my nose to it and inhale, but the smell dissipates as soon as I water the plants.

Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”