annastasia76

self climbing vine flowers

Other than morning glory what are some vining flower plants that will climb a trellis/fence without me having to do anything to it to make it climb.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here in northern California, I've seen trumpetvine and passion flower climbing up fences and buildings. In fact, it looks like they may climb a little *too* vigorously, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

annastasia76

I don't want anything that might become a weed but we are in southern Ca and it's very dry so if I didn't take care of it, chances of it growing and becoming a weed is probably slim.

Odd Duck

This is my favorite site to look for flowers native to my area. They have a pretty good site search that will let you customize it for your area, for vines, etc. They only have information on native plants, so if you search and select carefully, you should be able to find something that needs very little care.

https://www.wildflower.org/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Honeysuckle trumpet vine (aka trumpet honeysuckle) is a nice one for attracting hummingbirds. There is a native variety Lonicera sempervirens.

Otherwise annual vines are good for not getting out of control since they die back at the end of the year. I grow cardinal climber (also good for hummingbirds), climbing snapdragon, scarlet runner bean, moonflower on the trellises on my deck.

Indie
Newly Registered

I've found that the black-eyed susan vine will climb anything.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”