Bo0boo99
Newly Registered

Wire Trellis - Help CHOOSING VINE

I am currently thinking of creating a wire trellis. Lee Valley Tools has a Trellis Kit that is easy to install. The only problem I am having is selecting the right climber. I am thinking of designing a vertical diamond pattern along a wall on my home. Flowering isn't really my interest. I want a nice tight twirling evergreen to showcase my design. I recently found an article, and they used Confederate Jasmine. I'm in Zone 10. Any ideas???

applestar
Mod

OK we need more info -- which way the wall faces -- any structure or trees/shrubs shading it? and whether there's a roof overhang, guttered or unguttered? Does it face prevailing wind when it rains? I.E. Soil condition. Will you provide supplemental water if needed?

microcollie
Green Thumb

I would just warn that wire trellises don't always support heavy evergreen vines...make sure that it's sturdy and make sure that you pick a vine that will grow on it. Twining vines and those with tendrils might do best; others might need to be tied if they cant gain purchase themselves.

Two of my favorite southern vines (and being in MA, I'm admittedly far from the voice of authority) are Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jasmine) and Bignonia capreolata (Cross Vine) especially Tangerine Beauty. They're both southern natives, but you would have to check if they would be correct for your situation (as applestar noted) The cross vine has the advantage of being a good source of nectar for spring hummingbirds and great color in the fall and winter.

By the way, you may need to check my spelling on those latin names...I'm pulling them from memory. :oops:

Bo0boo99
Newly Registered

Thanks for responding! The wall faces East. No shade. And there is about a 1' overhang that is guttered, but that's way above the soon to be trellis area. No prevailing winds in Miami really, but it is a completely exposed area. Supplemental water isn't a problem... We're currently designing a new system for my flower beds.

Twining vines preferred. Thanks for your suggestions!

Bo0boo99
Newly Registered

I guess what I am trying to create is a type of vine espalier. Any thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Clematis is a nice trellis vine.

The cross vine is a great native hummingbird plant, but not really trellis sized... easily grows 50' long.

Trumpet honeysuckle is another flowering vine that hummingbirds like that is a bit better sized for a trellis.

I have trellis on my deck and grow a lot of annual vines on it. Cardinal climber/ cypress vine is a nice one that gets covered in brilliant red flowers that hummingbirds love. (I always grow hummingbird flowers on the deck; the hummingbirds will come up and hang out there with us.) Moonflower is nice for having evening opening flowers and the heart shaped leaves are pretty.

Carolina jessamine is a nice fragrant flowering evergreen perennial vine.

applestar
Mod

Can you grow passionflower vines? I've always wanted them for hummingbirds as well as for the fruits, but only one hardy enough around here is "Maypop" (P. incarnata) and they're variously listed as hardy to Zone 5 or 6. :?

This isn't so much a recommendation as I wish I was planning a wire trellised wall in a warmer climate.... 8) (Especially when I'm looking out the window at 8 inches of snow that are still covering my patio table from Sunday's snowfall....)

davidh
Newly Registered

has anyone ever considered a novelty alternative as part of an overall garden design? and if so what have you found

catgrass
Green Thumb

Ok-I;m in the south, too, and some things to consider. Cross vine is considered invasive in some states-grows wildly. Passion flower is the same, unless you buy a hybrid of some sort. It took me 3 years to get rid of one in my yard. Same with Cypress vine-pretty, but gets out of control quickly. None of these are evergreen. Clematis would be a good one, but I'm not sure if any of those are evergreen-I know there are a lot of different ones out there. Carolina jasmine is a good one-blooms in January. Morning glories and moonflower vine are beautiful when in full bloom, but again, not evergreen. Sorry this all sounds so negative, but something you should consider. If you're not worried about keeping some of those vines under control-they are all beautiful when blooming, but not all evergreen.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”