keskat

Butterfly Bush from seed...

I (perhaps unwisely) purchased a bundle of butterfly bush seeds, because my daughter desperately wants to have butterflies in her garden. Now...

They've arrived, and we're both anxious to start them growing. :lol:

My question is this: how early is too early to start them?

And a follow up, what would be the best method? I've been researching online, and have managed to moderately confuse myself. Some sources are telling me its very hard to start them from seed, others say not, and no one seems to agree on when, or when to transplant, or how likely I am to kill the babies in the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're in zone 9 here, and snow has just started falling - I expect it to continue through February.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Generally speaking raising woody plants from seeds is not the easiest because each plant has different methods. Some must be stratified others not. Then there is the watering process. To be safe I'd put them in the freezer for two-three weeks then plant them in a good seedling type soil vermiculite versus perlite and water from the bottom. Keep them under a grow light or in full sun exposure. It could take months for the seeds to germinate and then when they have a coulple whirls of leaves, transplant but keep them out of the sun for a while. It could take a couple of years before you can transplant outside. The only plants I try from seed are perennials.

The easiest way would be to buy a bush and take cuttings, using some of the old wood.

keskat

Mmph. Well, that's not at all what I wanted to hear. :lol:

Oky, then. Freeze 'em, then baby them for a few years. I can do that. And in the mean time, I'm sure I can find a bush this spring for instant gratification. Thanks! :D

keskat

Another question and a half: water from the bottom... As in, don't dump water over the top of my seeds, yes? If I poked a few holes in the bottom of an empty yogurt container and set it in a shallow dish, would that suffice?

I suppose I have about a month to figure out the best way and where to give this a shot. This is going to grow patience, if nothing else. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Gosh a yogurt container, such hersesy. Yes that will be fine just make certain that the soil is not too stiff. Trust me cuttings can be easier if you do it at the right time. Seeds are when you have a grenhouse.

microcollie
Green Thumb

I'm in zone 4, so I'm not sure if the same buddleias are sold there as here, but I have one in my garden, who's name I'm forgetting right now (Medium lilac flowers, highly fragrant, 6' tall). It freezes back to the ground annually, but still is around 6' by summer. It self seeds profusely...I have given away at least a dozen small bushes over the past 5 or 6 years, and many have just gone directly to the compost. This says to me that the seeds are dropping in the fall, wintering over, then sprouting in the spring. So a good chill period sounds like a good idea.

That said, I've often been curious about the common name, as I haven't noticed that butterflys are really attracted to it...get many more on my asclepias, monarda, echinacea, etc.

Good luck...if it were a better time in the season, I'd offer to send you a bush or two. Post again if you haven't had any luck come spring.

keskat

@bullthistle - Thanks for the input - I'll admit the whole process of taking cuttings is a little intimidating to me. So far. I've been reading up on it and I'm just not sure I'm qualified to perform plant surgery yet. :lol: By the next spring, I may be bold enough, though.

@microcollie - Sounds like you're having great results with yours - I hope I'll have the same. I'm going to pop my seeds in the freezer for awhile - or maybe just leave them in my root cellar through the winter? I'm pretty new to the gardening thing, but enthusiastic. With a little luck and a lot of patience, maybe my daughter and I will figure this out. :D Thanks for the input and the bush offer - please don't take it wrong when I say I hope I won't need to take you up on it! :lol:

applestar
Mod

Butterfly bush can be invasive and once they're grown, you may end up with more than you ever wanted. I suspect they're not that difficult to grow from seed, though I've never tried.

Going back to the initial reason for growing butterfly bush --to attract butterflies, although butterfly bush is a good nectaring source for the adult butterflies, there are plenty of annual flowers that will serve the same purpose and that could be more easily grown/give you instant gratification.

Also, when you are growing a butterfly garden, you would have many more butterflies if you grow larval food source plants as well as nectar source. (attracts the adults to mate and lay eggs + freshly eclosed --hatched from chrysalises-- butterflies).

If you are interested, start a new thread in the Wildlife Garden Forum, and we'll talk. :wink:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”