Troppofoodgardener

Marigold: propagation & pruning

I have an African marigold (Tagetes) growing quite prolifically in my garden bed. Originally intended as a companion plant, it is virtually taking over the space for veggies!

I don't want to get rid of it, as it's thriving and healthy. I haven't been pruning it back either, which I think may be part of the reason it has taken over... :oops:

So what is the best way of propagating this plant, so that I may spread its colourful blooms all around the garden? And some advice on how best to prune it would be appreciated as well :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've never pruned a marigold (I grow French marigolds, which are smaller), but I imagine you could pinch it back. Grasp the stem between your thumb and forefinger, then use your fingernails to cut through the stem. You can use a scissors or small pruner if you prefer. Make the cut about 1/4 of an inch, or a little less, above a node. The node is the swollen part of the branch where the leaves emerge. If you pinch off the tip of the central leader, the plant will stay shorter, but become bushier.

I've always found the best way to propagate marigolds is to allow them to set seed, then collect the seed as it becomes dry. Plant the seed the following spring. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”