mbrem

Southern Living article about Bearded Iris'

They had an excellent article about how to do a raised bed for bearded Iris' in their May 2010 issue. Does anybody know how I could get ahold of one of these articles?
My husband and I are military and really enjoy planning out everything for our future house when we're able to settle down. We've started a scrapbook of sorts for the gardening and furniture and I really want to have a raised bed of Iris' and I remember that article seeming easy so I want to put it into the scrapbook.
Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you contacted your local public library to see if they have the magazine? Libraries carry a lot of periodicals to loan out. You may be able to get a copy of the article that way.

Even if your local library doesn't carry that particular magazine, they might be able to get it for you on an interlibrary loan. Libraries are excellent resources! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The magazine has a website:

https://www.southernliving.com/

and they have archives of the issues there. However, it's apparently not the whole magazine archived. Each on-line issue shows one or two gardening articles. The May one is on basil, the June one is french hydrangea (plus it shows articles on making shady space for your dog and on creeping fig) April garden articles are on sunflowers and viburnums.

I did some searching around the website and found nothing on iris.

I thought maybe I was going to be able to come up with an easy answer for you, but it didn't work out, sorry. Check the website, which has a picture of each issue, and be sure it is the same magazine you were talking about.

mbrem

I hadn't thought of the library. I'll have to try them.
Yeah, I had looked on their website and couldn't find it, it is the right issue, they just didn't put that article online. Bummer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you just want information about building a raised bed, there's tons of information right here. Just type that into the Keyword box that comes up when you click on Search the Forum....

chrishassell
Newly Registered

:D
Hi there! I just stumbled upon this post, and wanted you to know it was my garden Southern Living did the article on! All we did was create a raised bed made with rocks from rock quarries nearby, and I filled it with several layers of rock, then filled it with soil. My bed is really high, probably 8 feet, and it has over 300 Iris. You certainly can make a much smaller garden but it's easy! you can even use landscape timbers. Just dig out all the grass, fill the bottom with a little rock, and add dirt, and your done!

Hope this helps!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”