rblms
Newly Registered

Begonia gone bad !!

Hi .. I am a gardening novice. last week I baught a beautiful pink begonia hanging basket. I kept it in sunny area, but by mistake due to heavy wind the basket fell into a place where we had put some manure. It went unnoticed for a day and after that almost the whole plant has become yellow and rotten !! Is there a way I can restore it ?? Please let me know.
Thanks

schsec

GOODNESS ME.... are you serious>>>

is this a joke?

a manure pit? your plant is gone... bye bye... :roll:

rblms
Newly Registered

well not really a manure pit but the community landscaping people had put that manure like stuff in the trees and all area ..

Anyhow .. so the plant has turned all white and dried ....

Any way to save it ? like if I trim it .. or how to I put a new plant in there .. m totally new to gardening stuff .. so any help is great...

schsec

since it's really gone anyway. you could trim it back to about three inches tall and let it go into the fall, it might get some flowers again. or replace it with something now. the garden centers have some very good deals on plants right now.

rblms
Newly Registered

thanx.. if I want to put a new plant there .. should I change the soil ?

schsec

seems like you would want to take a look at the soil to see if that was the problem or was the plant just damaged by the fall to the ground.
pure manure might be too strong or too wet for the plant. it needs to have a chance to dry out between watering and not be water logged.

Impatients would do better in that type of situation, they like a wetter soil.
shade, and last until the first freeze.

oddly, I live in zone 5, temps get down to below zero here, and every year I have impatients that come back to my garden in the shade from years back, they come up from seed.
right now there are really looking beautiful! right where I planted them in past years.
I love free flowers.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”