Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Shasta Daisies--You all, scared me into planting them today.

Everybody is talkng frost, so you scared me into getting my butt in gear, and planting my shasta daisies in the garden.--They were in big pots. When I went to take them out, wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be :lol: THey were SO rootbound I couldn't believe it!!! So tipped the pots on their sides and dumped everything out. Dug good big holes to put them in, filled with water ( they were so dry too) then washed as much of the soil off as possible, and planted them.--I had been meaning to do this for at least a month, but got busy and figured they would be OK. Glad I did it... I really didn't think they could be so root bound! WOW!!!!--Guess the sound of Frost scaring me was a Good thing!!!---Anybody else out there been holding off too?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I hope before you planted the daisies you pinched out or scored or otherwise loosened up those pot bound roots. When it is pot bound, the roots tend to run around in circles around the outside. If you don't do something to break that up before you plant them, it stays that way and smothers the roots.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Yes I really scored their roots, and got a whole bunch of the old dirt off too. So those roots won't be winding around anything! Sometimes I'm not too gentle about scoring the roots, so these ones got it!! LOL! But they are in just about the right shape now, to really take off and settle in before winter. Especially the 1st frost. If I hadn't transplanted them, in hindsight, I doubt they would have lived much longer even in the containers! So I'm glad I got scared into transplanting them! Tomorrow I'm going to plant my garlic cloves!---That will be an experiment for me!!! I LOVE gardening!!!--Plus all the helpful people on this forum. Your'e all GREAT!!!! :wink:

nakanj

I have some in pots that I grew this summer from seeds. They are about eight inches tall and I have them in the greenhouse. I was going to plant them next spring but now not sure if I should plant them now or wait?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just wanted to say, hope you gave them some room. Shasta daisies and Ox-Eyed daisies can get large. My orchard has many Ox-Eyed and a hand full of Shastas. They can easily get 4ft in diameter.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Flowers/DSC00952.jpg[/img]

Eric

nakanj

I have them in large pots . I hope they have enough room. does anyone know if they bloom the first year? :o

Dmouse
Newly Registered

nakanj wrote:I have them in large pots . I hope they have enough room. does anyone know if they bloom the first year? :o
Nakanj,

I started some crazy daisies two years ago in Feb and they bloomed the first year.

Cheers!

LenG

>I started some crazy daisies two years ago in Feb and they bloomed the first year. <

We tried crazy daisies but they didn't do well for us--someone recommended them highly but we have found the regular old fashioned ones much more powerful--we have a lot of them in various parts of the garden--we love the way they take to dividing so easily in nice big clumps. Regards, Len [Warren County, NJ]

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”