Anonymous

Has any one been using circular gardens??

I have been reading Linda Woodrow's great Permaculture book and I was wondering if any one has used her idea for circular gardens called Mandalas which are basically one large circle with 7 smaller circles inside?? It sounds a great idea and I would love to hear any type of feedback as I am new to garden design..I have two acres of wonderful land to play with and am open to ideas.

Thank you..Suzi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have not heard of this topic before but, I am going to assume that it involves planting companion plants in concentric circles around eachother with the tallest in the center and the shortest on the outset?

In theory it would be a great idea.

Anonymous

Thank you for the reply, so sorry ti has taken me so long to get back to you, one of those hectic weeks :wink:

The circular garden idea is actually a huge circle 14m in diameter with a central circle 4m in diameter with 6 outer circles each 4m in diameter, these are then divided by pathways with fruit or nut trees placed inbetween each circle for shade, the 7 circles are intensive vegetable beds planted at alternate times according to the lunar calender so you harvest one circle get in the chickens to dig it over, and the next door circle is ready to harvest..so it goes on & on round & round, saving time and energy because the overall circles are a better ergomonical design with less 'walking' the surface to retrieve your vegetables... I hope you can begin to picture the end result..Suzi

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”