WatchMeShove

PLumeria question.

I've always had plumerias in my yard, however when I went out this morning I found a plumeria flower that had six petals. I never thought this was possible, I thought that all plumeria flowers have 5 petals. Is this a rare occurrence or does this happen all the time?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mutations occur quite commonly in nature, in both plants and animals. If the mutation in some way enhances the survival of the plant or animal, then it may continue to be passed along to subsequent generations. If it has an adverse effect on survival, then the mutant usually doesn't live long enough to reproduce, and the mutation disappears.

That, of course, is a very brief explanation of the process, but you get the idea. :)

lilturtle
Cool Member

there are many times in plants were a simple fluke occurs also..this can be caused by envoronmental factors like water, sunlight, drought, disease, pests..ect. Finding a plumie flower with 6 petals is not nessisarily a mutation, it could have been brought on by any number of things.

Time will tell if your plant produces more of them.. its not common in plumies to have 6 petals that I am aware of.

WatchMeShove

Thanks for the input, however the answer I was really looking for was sort of a statistic, like how four leaf clovers only happen one in ten thousand. (I don't really know the statistic I made that number up) Is there anyone that would know a statistic like that for plumerias?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have serious doubts that such a study has been done. However, you might contact the Plumeria Society of America and ask them if they know of any such study. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”