NicoleJean
Newly Registered

Zinnia Zahara - Anyone grow before?

To anyone who has grown Zinnia Zahara... when collecting seeds do they produce true to type? I read one place on the internet that the seeds will produce the same color/type as parent plant and than I read in a magazine article that they are considered Hybrid. So Id really like to hear from anyone who has actually collected and grown these seeds. Thank you.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I grow Zinnia every year. I bought a package of seeds called, State Fair Collection. It is mixed colors. A plant with a certain color flower will usually have all the same color flower but....... sometimes a plant will have flowers with 2 different color flowers. These plants and flowers look like weeds up close but at a distance they look very very nice. I have a lot of folks comment how nice my flowers look. I dig a place and sow the seeds by the 1000s like grass seed. Rake them in a little then I water them every day for about 1 week until they all come up. Then I let mother nature take over.

In the fall the flowers dry out and produce a bundle of seeds right in the center of the flower. One year I tried to keep the colors seperated, all red in one bag, all yellow in another bag, etc. They look much nicer planted as mixed colors so I don't bother keeping the seed colors seperated anymore. I pick all the seeds and usually have a 2 gallon bucket of seeds each fall. I stir the seeds and mix well and plant them in the spring.

There are different type flowers some grow with pedals and others grow more like a rose. I liked the flowers with the pedals the most the first year so I only harvest seeds from them. The next year I decided I liked the mixed flowers best so I mixed all my old seed in with the new seeds. My plants are about 3 ft tall. The plants look real nice if you can get them planted very close together it makes all the plants grow straight and tall.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”