lily51
Greener Thumb

what's a good bloomer this year?

while my vegetables have done poorly this year, anything that I grow for blooms or herbs had done wonderfully. My annual statice (except purple), globe amaranth including fireworks (whcih makes a low hedge), sunflowers, basils are outdoing themselves.
The butterfly bush is ridiculously huge and filled with blossoms. Perennials in general are prolific.
How about everyone else...what's doing especially well for you this year?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Vegeys stink and it could be here in NC that we had a extra warm spring and threw the plants out of kilter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Like you ... I am having a great year for basil, more than I know what to do with. Pepper plants are growing well, but not producing real well (but that's because the spot they are in has gotten too shady, I need to take down some more scrub trees). Lavender, sage, butterfly bush, black eyed susans all going to town, as well as ironweed, joe pye weed, butterfly weed (once it got started, it was a little slow in the spring when it was so wet).

Notice a theme? things with weed in their name, I.e. hardy natives.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Same here. I just drove past my "wildflower meadow" and it's beautiful. The goldenrods are just starting. The joe pye is at its peak, as are the purple coneflowers, queen anne's lace, and chicory.
In the more formal garden, thalictrum aquilegifolium (Meadow Rue) is stealing the show, but monardas, echinaceas, and lobelias are all looking great. (Funny. They're all natives too.)

lily51
Greener Thumb

similar stories! Have you tried Rudbekia "Irish Eyes"? Last year was the first time I planted it and I love it. Started in the greenhouse so it blooms the first year. Very attrative, larger flowers than the black eyed susans, have a green center. Natives Naturally do best!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”