lorax
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:The caladiums are a nice suggestion. They are not winter hardy so they do have to be dug up in the fall and stored. I didn't quite follow the comparison with tulips and daffodils though. In most of the US tulips and daffs/ jonquils are winter hardy and are just left in the ground. In some of the warmest areas, Southern US, to have tulips you have to dig them up and refrigerate/ freeze them, because they need to have cold dormancy. That is still different from caladium which are stored warm.
Sorry, I'm originally from USDA 2a. In zones that cold, we dig up our tulips and jonquils and store them in the basement during the winter. Caladiums were store in the potato cupboard.

NicoleJean
Newly Registered

If it was my house I would get the planter removed and put some low shrubs there. Than in front of the shrubs I would than use that space for annual flowers. Obviously whatever you decide to put there you will need to self water it. I also live in Washington and you can get these regional books, tree and shrub gardening for washington and oregon, annuals for washington and oregon, or perrinials for washington and oregon. There are hundreds of varieties that are know to do well in your area. All the plants and flowers come with color page spreads and growing and care instructions.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”