krzyk4
Cool Member

Flower or Weed?

Good Morning :D

Need some help identifying some plants again ... not sure if these are flowers or weeds ... any suggestions?

[img]https://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/krzyk4/photo3-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/krzyk4/photo4-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/krzyk4/photo5-1.jpg[/img]

Thanks,

Karen

applestar
Mod

We're looking at 3 different plants right?

1st one looks like garlic scapes (flower buds). Could be garlic, but it could also be alliums cultivated for their flowers. Some people do plant garlic in their flower beds to repel pests.

2nd one looks like poppy.

3rd one looks like a viola. Small-flowered violas are sometimes called weeds, especially when they're growing in the lawn, but I keep them both in flower beds AND out in the grass.

krzyk4
Cool Member

Thank you SO much applestar!!

I am living in a rented house and I never know what to pull or not. So pretty ... garlic scapes, have to check those out!!

Thanks again :D

krzyk4
Cool Member

I pulled one up and it IS garlic!!

I'm gonna read up on it and see if I can make it grow big. I wonder how long its been there ? hmmm ... what to do?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nightshade

well, lets put it this way - if it's useful, you like it and it isn't in the way, it's not a weed.

If it's in your way, ugly, impractical and maybe really invasive, then it's a weed. :)

SkyKero
Cool Member

All 3 of them look pretty to me -- not a weed for me then :)
I would willingly grow all 3

microcollie
Green Thumb

The poppy looks like an annual type. If you don't deadhead, you can harvest the seeds and have bunches of them next year. (plus the seed heads are beautiful themselves.)
Quite a few violas are also good self seeders, so if you like them, make more.
By the way...I have bunches of siberian iris growing up through the cracks in my patio. Those are weeds. The moth mullein and queen anne's lace that volunteered in my perennial bed are not!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I dug up some moth mullein from a vacant lot (where it was a weed) and brought it home and planted it in my flowerbed (where it is not). Now it is popping up other places like my herb garden and I am still deciding whether it is a weed there or not....

microcollie
Green Thumb

Certainly one of those plants that straddles the line, but looks good peeking out of the middle of the bed. But right now it's providing some support to a gangly sanguisorba. It's a great unexpected combo. The trick will be to deadhead it before I have too much of a goood thing!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”