lcweber
Newly Registered

Dahlias diseased with what?

I have grown these dahlias for several summers now, and have never had a problem. This year, one by one they are getting sick with something. They start off looking super wilted from the sun (lack of water is not an issue!) and then the wilted leaves become all yellow, beige, black and lifeless. I have sprayed with Orchard spray which has never let me down, and even that isn't curing this. I know someone's gonna say to get rid of them, but I simply can't afford to replace them. (I know bulbs aren't expensive but it's a 'not really needed' thing' and $ has to go essentials.) So, what can I do to stop this disease?? :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know a whole lot about dahlias. I tend to resist planting things that have to be dug up every fall and replanted every spring.

Seems like there are a number of things it could be. You said "watering is not an issue" Is it possible you were overwatering? If the tubers get waterlogged and soggy, that can cause wilting too and eventually rotting of the tuber.

There are wilt diseases that affect dahlias. In that case the roots and base of the stems probably have blackish streaks. If that is the case and the leaves have already died, your plants probably can't be saved. They should be be trashed and your soil sterilized.

Look your plants over very carefully and try digging one up to look at the roots (if everything looks fine, it can be replanted). Look for insects, galls, lesions, etc.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”