lcweber
Newly Registered

Overwintering Pandora Jasminiods (Bower vine) in z5

I have Bower vines growing in window boxes on my deck. These are the white ones with dark pink throats. Anyway, I want to bring them in thru the winter, but don't know if I should cut them back, take them out of the box, (it's a huge deep long custom made box!) and store them in the basement like dalahia bulbs or what. Or, can I cut them from the trellis, cut them back short, get them into pots, and bring them in as house plants until spring? I really love these vines. Help! :?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Taking them inside could be a problem so trim back the plant and then dig a trench to put the planter in and cover with leaves that way they will get moisture and not dry out in the basement and keep your fingers crossed we don't have sub zero winter flucuations.

lcweber
Newly Registered

Overwintering Pandora Jasminiods (Bower vine) in z5

Thanks for your prompt reply bullthistle, but the problem with that suggestion is that this 'window' box is 6ft long and 13" deep. It isn't possible to bury it, or even get it off the deck - too heavy. Why wouldn't cutting them back, potting them, and keeping them in a cool basement work? Sort of let them go dormant, water once or twice, and take them back out in the spring? :?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

No hearty men around? Can't be heavier then a coffin. The only thing about the basement is forgetting to water, because our lives are so busy we forget the little things. Try it.

lcweber
Newly Registered

Forgetting to water?

Well, I agree our lives are busy, but I doubt I'd forget to water. My plants are like children to me. Sounds weird, but hey, weird is good sometimes. So, let's say I don't forget. Will they make it till spring? :?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”