lilturtle
Cool Member

Fushia questions help please

I have these 2 fushia plants, one my mom gave me about a month ago and it is doing fine but its just not growing and it has bloomed some but not nearly like I would have thought it would....the other is much smaller and was a rooted cutting send to me as a bonus in a trade last month also. That one has grown some and has 4 flower buds on it..it is an obvious differan kind then the bigger fushia.

My question is, am I doing somthing wrong? My fushias get about half day sun and I water them regularly about every other day because it gets so hot here. They seem to need extra water a lot. I have only fertilized them once with worm tea fertilizer.

Any advice for a first time fushia owner?

[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/RiverRockSecrets/Yard%20flowers/bromefusia005.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/RiverRockSecrets/Yard%20flowers/bromefusia006.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You just gave your location as "west coast." That covers a lot of territory and it makes a difference. If you are in Oregon or Washington and have cloud cover and rain and humidity, it is very different for your fuschia than if you are in SoCal with hot sun and dry air.

But if that half day sun you mentioned is direct sun, especially if you are in a sunny clime, it's likely too much. Fuschia likes indirect light. The best one I ever grew I had indoors in my bathroom, with only the light from a frosted bathroom window. It loved it.

They need to stay moist (NOT wet) all the time, which is a lot of watering. Are those hanging baskets? Fuschias don't like their roots to get hot, which happens with hanging baskets. In containers, they will do better if the containers are on the ground as they are in your pix; helps keep the roots cooler.

With all that watering, you are flushing the nutrients out, and fuschias are heavy feeders. You probably need to be adding some kind of fertilizer every week or two.

lilturtle
Cool Member

Wow thank you..looks like I am doing a few things wrong. I don't have anywere in my yard that gets total shade, I can move them each day when the shade moves thogh but not sre they would like that either.

lorax
Greener Thumb

LT, is there any way that you could hang or place them under a tree? Here, the native fuchsias are always found in the understory of the forests and in generally pretty light-starved areas. Theoretically, this cultural requirement would pass through into the fancy hybrids. The less direct sun you can get them, the better - which is why I mention the shade of a tree.

Also, what kind of soil are they in? In nature, fuchsias grow in a soil that's almost completely made up of mosses and leaf mulch, so, as RG mentioned, the drainage is wicked fast....

Just my 2 cents. :D

lilturtle
Cool Member

Unfortunatly I don't have a big tree to put them under....but I can move them once a day as the shade moves. They are planted in miracle grow potting soil. I will fertilize them good today also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The miracle grow is fertilizer. If it is fresh potting soil, the MG should keep it for the first couple months; after that you will need to fertilize regularly.

What you need isn't shade, it's indirect or filtered light. If you don't have that, you can create it with shade cloth, which is very light woven translucent fabric that lets light through, but filters and diffuses it.

applestar
Mod

Right. My fuchsias containers are directly on the ground on the North side of a plum tree. (I tried hanging them from the tree, but they didn't do as well) If you don't have big trees, how about shrubs or even under the tomatoes?

In the winter time, they come inside after outside temps fall below 45ºF and go on the downstairs NW window sill just off the front foyer where they are subject to some cold drafts, and due to the movement of the sun, they gradually get less and less sun until during the full winter months, the sun doesn't reach them at all. But I've found that they are happiest there.
Last edited by applestar on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilturtle
Cool Member

Ok if I can find the shade cloth were I live how would I apply it? Its very hard my yard gets full sun till about 1pm and its hot sun. I have some tomatoes but these fushia pots wont fit under them..I don't have big bushes yet..everything I have is so small still....thus all the sun..LOL

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”