hockeymom519

Where to buy bulbs?

I want to plant bulbs like daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, etc. I guess now is the time to start planning since it'll be time to plant before long. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any online companies and their experiences. I'd love feedback on good companies, along with ones I should avoid. Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't have space to plant bulbs. :( But when I had even a *little* space, I went to ___ Nursery, close to my house, and asked them for a recommendation, both as to varieties and sources. They said that, at the right time, they themselves would have the proper bulbs in stock. :)

If you're looking for a large number of bulbs, esp. for naturalizing, perhaps a local nursery will give you a (very?) good deal. That way, you'll know when the bulbs are coming in, their quality, the varieties, etc.

There *are* rating services on the web, but try this one first. Because there is still time (a couple of months, at least, given your location), this method should work for you this year. Next year? Maybe the bulbs will have naturalized without being lifted....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have bought online, and the plants were okay. I far prefer to buy locally, at real nurseries and garden stores. I like being able to talk to knowledgeable people about the care that will be needed by the plants I buy. As Cynthia mentioned, they have the right plants in stock when it's the right time to plant them. There are all kinds of advantages. I've also had them give me stacks of pots and flats at no charge! :D

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”