kottwalter
Newly Registered

Extra Large Awkward Flower Garden

I live in a wooded area and when we bought our house it had an existing, empty flower bed (except daffodils) that is 50' x 6'-15' depending on where you stand. It is completely open on all sides, meaning there are no areas for foundation plantings. I have struggled for two summers to try and come up with a plan for this huge space and I'm at a loss. Most of the are gets dappled light and some areas, those closer to the house where there aren't any trees gets a few hours a day. I planted 5 hydrangea this summer at the end of the garden and now can't figure out what else to do. I've thought about dividing the bed into smaller beds but with everything being open all around I feel I'm limited. Any suggestions?

[img]https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/memnoch469/_MG_0721.jpg[/img]

Thanks
Kathy
Last edited by kottwalter on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Well, the bed would lend itself to being separated into part-shade and part-sun areas from what you said. It also sounds like the bed is somewhat of an irregular shape. Is this area visible from the house? Do you view it lengthwise or ??

It would help a lot if you could post a photo or a sketch of the area.

I think it would help to get an idea of what kind of plants are suited to this location. We already know dappled light and some sun. What about soil -- clay? sandy? and moisture levels? -- dry? stays moist? Is the area sloped? -- I.e. well drained?

These background information will help narrow down the kind of plants. I tend to prefer native plants, and there are several members here that could also help you pick out plants that are native to your area and suitable to the conditions you have. There are also members who are well versed in a variety of cultivated landscape plants.

I don't have such a large area, but I've separated my garden according to different conditions and whimsically call them my "Native Bog Rain Garden," "Native Shade Garden," "Sunny Meadow," "Desert Rock Garden" etc.

kottwalter
Newly Registered

I posted a photo and it's embarrassing now that I take a good look at the yard.

So as you can see we look out into the bed from the front of our house and we view it lengthwise.

The soil is dry and only about 12" deep, if that. We live on a small mountain and under the soil is granite. It's extremely rocky. All of the rocks that border the bed are from the yard. I have to water everyday and it doesn't appear as though the soil is holding any moisture. Basically we have a rocky, dirt bed.

Thanks,
Kathy

applestar
Mod

OK, right off the bat, I'm thinking Comptonia peregrina (Sweet Fern), Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Plant), Penstemon hirsutus (Hairy beardtongue), Achillea millefolium (Yarrow), Salvia lyrata (Lyre-leaved Sage) -- plain and purple-veined -- and Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea) for the sunniest areas, Heuchera (Coral Bells) and Iris cristata (Crested Iris) for the dappled areas, and Chrysogonum virginianum (Green and Gold/Golden Star) for the shady areas.

I'll think about it some more and post again. :D

ETA: The area has a lot of possibilities, BTW. I assume you're envisioning a flower garden inside the rock border? Are those groundcovers that you're trying to grow along the slope?

ETA2: This spring, I bought a Variegated Virginia Creeper at a Native Plant Sale. It's really quite attractive and I think would make a lovely ground cover. It is said to be less vigorous than the green species, although it won't be able to take as much shade. Here's a photo:
[img]https://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2003/03/15/pf_Virginiacreepervariegated_lg.jpg[/img]
https://www.hgtv.com/decorating/fast-privacy/index.html

kottwalter
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your suggestions. This is all new to me, but I love it. My husband thinks I'm becoming obsessed with it.

I planted pachysandra this spring in hopes of getting something to cover the slope. You are correct. I'm trying to plan the bed inside the rock border. I would like to keep the ground cover on the slope and then create the garden on the other side. You can't really tell, but the hydrangea are planted on the far left side of the picture and they are small right now, but I'm hoping they get the actual 3'-5'. We'll see. Liriope was already planted around the back border of the bed when we bought the house. I really like it, but when I read all this stuff about making sure your taller plants are in the back, my liriope is in the back and it certainly isn't a tall plant.

The Virginia creeper IS pretty. I'd have to find an area that got plenty of sun if it isn't a shade loving one.

Thanks

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”