zookprqn

Help with Morning glories

They are growing fine, the vines that is. But have yet to see a flower or even a bud. And on one end of the row the leaves are turning yellow/brown and eventually drying up and falling off. I water them regularly so should not be drying up like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh...they get the morning sun up until about noon. The vines have climbed aprox. 12 feet high and still going. Bed is aprox. 8 ft in length. Soil tested at a ph of 5.8.

zookprqn

One part of this question I found out by searching the internet... Morning glories don't bud/flower until they have reached the highest point and start climbing back down on themselves. And that is exactly what happened. Found my first flower and more buds this morning.

The second part, regarding the yellow/brown issue, I have not found an answer for yet. So if anyone has any info that might help I'd sure be grateful.

Thanks

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

New growth is the first to show stress because of high winds in the morning and not enough water. Mother Narure can be intriguing.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Morning glories will bloom to their best in very poor soil, as long as they have drainage. In good, fertile soil, they tend to get very leafy and weak-stemmed. I've had some growing for years (they re-seed every year) in the same bed without ever doing anything to ammend it. This morning you could hardly see a leaf for all the blossoms. I also rarely water. They're in full sun for the whole day. The leaves often look a little droopy by mid-afternoon, and the flowers are fading then anyway. If they haven't perked up by the next morning, I'll give them a squirt from the hose. Definately a tough love kind of plant.
Is it your new growth or old that's yellowing? Or both? Does that end of the row get more or less light? If it was a too little water issue, you'd know before they yellowed, but not so with too much water.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”