SkyKero
Cool Member

Coleus Flowering ... will it die now?

I just bought this coleus that is flowering -- it just looked so interesting.

It has 2 branch-outs (kind of like a 2 prong fork) one that has flowers and the other does not.

Will the plant survive if I cut off the top flowering thing on the one side? I have been reading that they will die because of the flowers (I guess they will seed -- and I can use for next year) .. but it is really a nice looking plant and there is plenty of heat left in the year.

Will the other side live if I pinch off the flowers on that side when they try to grow -- should I cut the non-flower off the main stem and plant that?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Silvia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, the plant will die if you allow it to set seed. If you remove the flower, the plant will continue to grow. Just out of curiosity, is it in a container, or in the ground? If it's in a container, you can probably bring it indoors at the end of summer. They make nice houseplants. :)

SkyKero
Cool Member

Right now it is an very small container -- I was planning on putting it in the ground... but I may have just changed my mind -- I will cut the flowers of so it can live .. and plant it in a bigger pot ...

... it is a really pretty purple color. -- (my favorite color :D )

Thanks for the help.

Silvia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Coleus are very attractive plants. I used to have several, each one different from the others. I had my office at work full of them. This is a plant that is easy to root from cuttings, so as you pinch yours back to make it grow full and bushy, stick the parts you remove into a pot of moist soil. Soon you'll be giving them away as gifts. :D

SkyKero
Cool Member

Great! ... that sound good to me...

All my plants have grown so much - I am having to give some away so that they all have room :)

Thanks for the help

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”