wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Worldwide challenge--teal flower?

OK, garden buds all over the world, I need your help. I have a dear friend who is getting married and she asks me to get a list of blue flowers. Not a problem.

Then she asks: "Are there any teal flowers?" I said "no", but then maybe in some other corner of the globe someone has or knows of a plant with teal (teal blue, not teal green) flowers. -helpsos-

applestar
Mod

Just thought to toss in this idea: You might be more likely to find teal blue FOLIAGE since there are large selections and a wide range in blue foliage. The color could be enhanced/emphasized (perception of the shade can be tweaked) by using contrasting color(s).

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

White flowers often can be dyed any color you like. It's very commonly done with carnations, and I've seen it done with daisies, as well. That would probably be your easiest and most cost-effective solution to the problem. I know of no teal blue flowers.

When I was a kid, we used put food coloring in the water in a vase of white carnations and watch them become tinted. :)

shadowsmom

Kisal wrote:White flowers often can be dyed any color you like. It's very commonly done with carnations, and I've seen it done with daisies, as well. That would probably be your easiest and most cost-effective solution to the problem. I know of no teal blue flowers.

When I was a kid, we used put food coloring in the water in a vase of white carnations and watch them become tinted. :)
I started doing this again about 5 years ago. 2nd childhood perhaps?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup... did some looking and couldn't find anything that naturally blooms that color. Lots of flowers can be dyed, white roses and orchids for eg. If they can't be dyed by taking up the dye in the water, they can be spray tinted.

Or she could just do a white bouquet with ribbons and accents of her color. I think that would look very pretty and fresh.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, if anybody comes up with anything, do let me know--I have until September... :shock: I did suggest using "things" that colour instead of flowers but I think it bounced off.

I knew about colour take-up methods and spray-painting them, but (and I mean no offense to the suggesters) I think it looks cheap. I've not seen a dye job yet that I like. (And you can take that any way you want! :lol: )

Here's hoping she'll stick w/her original choice of sapphire!

Thanks for your input. I was really hoping I was wrong on this one. :wink:

Livermore Traveler
Newly Registered

Peru: Puya Alpestris. It's an aloe/yucca like plant that's low to the ground, but when the climate's been right all winter, puts up a stalk of beautful TEAL flowers. I'd never try to time a wedding around it.

First saw it in Christchurch, New Zealand's botanical garden. Turns out Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, CA has such in their demonstration garden. This year it's blooming.

https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plant ... nt_id=1328

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Forum, Traveller! :) It is three years since the question was asked, but that is a pretty amazing picture. I have never seen flowers (naturally) that color. They do look "unearthly."

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”