miagardener

My Sunflowers Only Last A Few Days, What's Wrong?

I have grown maybe 10 sunflowers from seed and everytime they grow tall, grow a nice big flower, the flower stays open 3 days max and then it starts to die. I thought it was my soil but I had them planted in 3 different places and it's happening to all of my sunflowers, anyone know why this could be happening? Aren't they supposed to stay in bloom for awhile? Any answers are appreciated. Thanks! :)
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Don't have a clue but maybe it gets too hot. Normally they grow like weeds since farmers plant them in NC as a crop. Go to FSU ag school and check it out.

applestar
Mod

Sunflowers need surprising amount of water. Could that be the reason?

miagardener

I don't think it's the water, I water my garden daily.
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B

applestar
Mod

O-Kay--- Now, for me, a yellow flag goes up every time someone says they water daily. I realize you're in FL and the watering requirements may be different, and other FL gardeners can straighten me out, but most of the time, a garden -- an in-the-ground garden (containers are different) -- shouldn't need to be watered every day.

It's a good practice to water DEEPLY. Stick your finger in the soil, dig with a trowel, put out containers everywhere if using sprinklers, but you need to get a good idea of how FAR DOWN the water seeps into the soil after watering, or how many inches of water you are giving.

If you only surface water, you train your plants to keep their roots near the surface, then they dry out faster along with the surface soil.

This might NOT be your situation, but I just wanted to point that out.

What variety sunflower are you growing? ...And maybe you could describe the kind of locations you've tried growing them in. Maybe this just happens because of your location (as in FL), too. :?: :?:

miagardener

I'm thinking it might be too hot for them, maybe I should try partial shade? I also do deep waterings but only when the soil is dry, sometimes the soil gets dry fast when it's super hot, in which case I water daily. I'm just not sure what's going on with these sunflowers. Thanks for the responce, I am redoing my garden as we speak, my husband and I plan to go out there and pull up some things and plant some new things, I'll definately consider location more this time. :)
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B

mansgirl

I have a miniature sunflower in a small pot in the front of my house. It doesn't get much sun where it is, so the flower only lasts a few days. But I find if I trim the flower at the first sign of wilt, a new head starts growing quickly. I understand that this won't help if you're trying to grow sunflowers for seed, but if they're decorative only, try giving them more sunlight, or prune the flowers fast.

I've also noted that my sunflowers are thirsty. This may be because they're on the edge of my garden and don't get hit with the sprinkler as well, or in the case of my mini, its in a small container. Either way, I water my sunflowers by hand with a heavy drink every few days depedinging on the rain. Maybe yours need a really nice big drink of water?
"The earth laughs in flowers."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

miagardener

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I love this website :)
Tomorrow my husband and I are doing some major landscaping in our yard. I have decided I'm going to do mostly pot gardening from now on. Being in south florida, it's crazy growing from the ground unless you're growing big things. There's just SO many weeds and BUGS! I am terrified of bugs so the pot gardening definetly helps me there. LOL! We are just going to keep our currently growing cucumbers and watermelon and some of the flowers I have growing where they are, the rest is getting mowed and tilled and I am going to plant peppers, herbs and flowers in pots. I decided I should really only grow what we like to eat. We grew lots of lettuce but it wasn't the kind we liked so we gave it all away! LOL! When I first started my garden, I grew anything I could get my hands on, just to see it grow! I was kind of just experimenting, what does well, what doesn't. Now I'm becoming more professional with my gardening. I am going to document everything (what's in what pot, when it was planted) and try to keep up on my garden plot more, it's a constant battle with the weeds, even WITH mulch. I am going to start some new sunflowers from seed soon in different locations, I am even going to do a couple in pots and see how that works, it's so much easier watering pot gardens, it takes alot less water too. I'll update you all and let you know how things go! I appreciate ALL of the responces, you guys are great!~ :)
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B

miagardener

It's funny because we went on vacation and the yard went bonkers, in just 5 days, thanks to it raining heavily pretty much everyday we were gone, plus the 90+ Miami heat. I have ALOT of work to do back there, I should take a before and after picture and post it! LOL
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”