shaefins

Snapdragon questions

A friend was having her yard re-done and offered me some of her snapdragons. I dug up several large clumps and moved them into one of my beds. They drooped at first, but all seem to be doing rather well now.

From what she told me, she never propagated them on her own. I don't believe they're perennials, certainly not here in zone 6A (Western PA), right? So then, do the seeds overwinter or something? She claims she gets more and more of them every year.

I *love* snapdragons, and she has gorgeous colors as well. Is there anything I need to do or not do to ensure they come back next year? TIA!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Snapdragons are an annual, but they readily self-seed. The seed doesn't seem to survive the winter rains out here, but if it does well in your neighbor's yard, then it probably will for you, too. :)

shaefins

Sooooo...I just let them go to seed then? And that's it? Seems too good to be true, LOL! I'll keep an eye out for the seed pods, as I'd like to have them in multiple locations. Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, that's all there is to it. :)

I think it's a good idea to collect a few seed pods and store them. That way, just in case your winter is extreme and the seeds don't survive, you'll have a few in reserve. If you don't need them the in the spring, you can always share them with your friends.

We have an active [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14]Seed Swapping and Sharing[/url] section you might enjoy. If you have snapdragon seeds left over next year, perhaps another member would like to trade some other kind of seeds for them. :)

shaefins

Off to read about seed saving - thanks, Kisal!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”