Delilah
Cool Member

Best natural/complete fertilizers for maximizing flowering?

Hi

My hanging baskets are looking really pathetic currently, and the potting mix looks pretty sad. I want to really boost them, e.g. with some kind of rich manure-based supplement, but will that increase flowering or decrease it due to nitrogen??

I don't want to use chemical fertilizers because they will just get washed through with the next rain, and they certainly won't help to revitalise the dead-looking potting mix. I also don't want to re-pot 12 baskets every 6 months for the rest of my life...

So, what's a good way to keep the soil in hanging baskets rich and productive over the long term, that will promote lots of flowers and not just green leaves?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

For fertilizer the slow release type would be best, Mircale Grow, Osmacote, etc. Sometimes store bought potting soil is heavy so if you mix in some perlite or vermiculite to soften the soil might be best. Heavy soil when watered becomes too dense so you need a soil that breathes.

Delilah
Cool Member

Thanks bt :)

My problem is that the soil breathes too much - it's open, empty and lifeless. It needs more density, richness and moisture retention from organic matter.

I specifically do not want to use chemical fertilizers like Osmocote. I'm looking for something that will feed the soil - something that adds humus and a spectrum of natural nutrients.

My only issue is which to choose - what will promote flowering, versus what might hinder it.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”