SkyKero
Cool Member

Mums not flowering

I got some mums in the fall..they had flowers -- now .. they look like they are happy (they have grown a lot) -- but I have no flowers --- I think they get enough sun... how can I make them give me flower? Am I too late?

Thanks,

Silvia

SkyKero
Cool Member

For some reason I remember the lady telling me they "could" bloom in Spring.. but it seems I will wait for fall.

I heard that I can cut them back and they will become bushier -- and give more blooms in the fall --

Does anyone has any information on this? ..

(I will also do a search -- I have to admit -- I forgot to do that first)

Silvia

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mums are fall flowering. Nothing you can do to make them bloom ahead of schedule. They were blooming last fall because it was fall. They will bloom again this fall.

Yes you can make them bushier and produce more flowers by cutting the growing tips off.

Conventional wisdom says to do this on Memorial Day and the Fourth of July and then leave them alone. I find cutting them back the second time seems to slow them down a bit and they bloom a little earlier if I only cut them back once. You can experiment.

Just cut the tip of each stem off including the top pair of leaves with a sharp scissors.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”