Tanya_NB_4B/5A

lilies with red beetles and strange black slimmy cocoons!

My oriental lilies have some red beetles. THey aren't ladybugs but a beetle that is the same color. They aren't small like aphids. I also noticed that some lilies have the leaves all eaten and have some small slimmy dark brown cocoons stuck to the leaves close to where it is eaten. They are everywhere and quite gross!!! Are these egg sacks from these red beetles or something else? They are about the size of a pea.
What do I do?
I'm assuming something will be hatching soon!!!

Should I cut that lily off completely so it won't infest the others or can I spray something on?

Help!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Try neem oil, apply once (maybe twice) a week.

Tanya_NB_4B/5A

mmm neem oil never heard of it

Is it commonly available?

If I don't find it...anything else I could try? Any household products I could use ? What about insecticidal soap?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yep, it's available at local nurseries, big box stores and other places. We have a thread on it in the General Forum that you might want to read.

decam0

If your lilies are in a pot and not too heavy, gently pick it up, turn it horizontal and shake the bugs out onto a large sheet of newspaper. If they're in the ground, spread a sheet around and under them and gently shake the bugs out onto it. Then stamp on them! They will eat your lilies to shreds. Then put on a pair of rubber gloves and pick the slimy dark brown cacoons off. These nasties cover themselves in their own excrement and then they grow up and eat the rest of your shredded lilies!!!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”