ESMcLane
Cool Member

low growing flowers

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum & have never participated in any type of forum before, I apologize for all of my questions.

My grandpa gave me a bunch of established plants from his yard (unsure of what the names are) but I do know they are tall growing perennials that require full to partial sun.

I also bought & planted Peonies & Star Gazer Lily's.

We moved several of the plants this year to allow for more room in the garden. I want to plant some annuals...but other than geraniums, I don't know of other flowers that are somewhat low growing and hearty that require full to partial sun.

any suggestions?!

thanks for your help :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Petunias are one of my favorites. Old-fashioned, but I love the scent on a warm summer evening. The 'upright' kind get about a foot or so tall, and there are 'trailing' varieties to choose among, too. :)

Marigolds are also nice, but be sure you check the height on the tag, because some varieties grow only 6 inches tall, while others can reach 2 feet tall.

Alyssum is pretty and forms a low growing ground cover. There are annual and perennial varieties. Two of my favorites are Carpet of Snow (white) and Carpet of Gold (yellow). There is a purple one, too, but I don't recall the name.

There are many, many more annuals that would suit those conditions, and I'm sure other members will stop by soon to suggest their favorites to you. :)

ESMcLane
Cool Member

that was helpful- thank you for your input :)

I always try planting petunia's in a container but for some reason they always die or seem to rot or something...I don't think petunias and I get along very well.

Do marigolds come in colors other than orange and yellow? I forgot about marigolds- they are pretty too.

I'm looking for flowers with some height- but not tall growing flowers such as Dahilas or Begonias for example (which I think are both tall growing).

growing flowers can be so overwhelming!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Why not check out the website at the link below? You can select the conditions where you'll be growing the plants, the color you want, and other specifics. The site will show you pictures of some suitable flowers. Once you have some ideas, you can just buy the plants or seeds, whichever you prefer, at your local nursery or garden center. :)

https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

there's begonias and there's begonias.... wax begonias are sold in all the garden departments as bedding plants. They come in mainly red, pink, white flower colors, but also different varieties of foliage colors, variegated, red, etc. They get 6-12" tall, are delicate looking.

then there is trailing lobelia, and of course impatiens. Impatiens come in a rainbow of colors, single or double flowered. The double flowered ones look like little roses and are beautiful. Impatiens are traditionally shade lovers, but there is a variety now called Sunny Lady that can handle more sun.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”