Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Moonflowers with other flowers in the pot?

I want to raise moonflowers in the pot, and I am wondering, what other flowers can I raise with it? I am asking, because it seems like moonflower is very vigorous(I never ever seen such a huge seedlings just 2 days old!), so other flowers might not be able to grow next to it well? For example, I am thinking about putting in morning glory and some smaller flowers.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Moon flowers do fine in pot culture, but IMO they need a really big pot or need drip irrigation to give an almost constant supply of moisture. Last year I had one planted in about a three gallong pot by itself. In the hot part of the summer I watered the plant twice per day, and it still dried and wilted during the mid afternoon. I also planted one or two grouped in with two clematis and some small annuals, in a large homemade planter that holds about 2.5-3.0 cubic feet of soil. That planter tended to dry out as well when watered twice per day. The moon flowers get monster roots plus have extensive top growth to feed. If I were you I wouldn't put a moonflower in any container that is smaller than 1-2 cubic feet or five gallon. Also consider setting up drip irrigation to the container and have it cycle on two or three times per day during hot weather. Also consider protecting the plant from the late afternoon sun.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow lots of moonflower. It is not in pots that big, but it is areas that get only morning sun. It seems to do fine that way and doesn't need as much water as alex was talking about. It is big, but a vine. So it grows up a trellis and then in the pot I have other low things like petunias, that don't climb.

Don't you love those huge seed leaves? Actually the regular leaves are a little smaller.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I know, that pots tend to dry out,that's why I bought plastic one - I think it is about 4 gallons, and I will mulch it too. It will also be next to the arbor, so it will get some shade, I hope.
So the true leaves will be smaller? That is an interesting plant!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”