Katzpur
Newly Registered

Ground cover suggestions

I live in zone 7 and am trying to decide on a ground cover for underneath a large Sycamore tree. Here are the things I'm looking for:

1. Full shade
2. Low growing (Maximum 3 inches high)
3. Fast growing, spreading.
4. Flowering (or colored folliage).

We've had Vinca Major there for years. It's nice once the season gets going, but is such a mess in the spring because all of the dead leaves from the tree get tangled up in the plants, and by the time we get them out, the plant itself looks horrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

applestar
Mod

I think the problem stems from the fact that vinca minor is evergreen for the most part, and the strong vines makes it terrible to rake out, and the curly points on the sycamore leaves probably hold on to the vines as well.

One solution might be to walk all over the left over dry sycamore leaves and crumble them into the undergrowth. That way, the leaves will decompose and feed the soil.

As for your list -- 3 inches is pretty short even for groundcover....
If it got more sun, I would say Mother of Thyme.

If you were in the east coast, I would say wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) They die out in winter, but the leaves will cover them as mulch anyway, and they'll happily emerge out of the leaves in spring. They DO get to be about 6"~8" high with plenty of moisture, but in starved soil, they'll remain 4~6". If you like this idea, maybe there is a native equivalent wild strawberries for your area.

Katzpur
Newly Registered

I was actually really wanting to plant Mother of Thyme. It's so beautiful! I just don't think it would get enough sun. I had given some thought to Vinca Minor. (We've got Vinca Major right now.) Would we have the same problems with Minor as Major, though? I was also giving some thought to Creeping Red Sedum. I don't know much about it, so if you do, I'd welcome your advice. I'll have to check into wild strawberries. I don't recall having seen any around here, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Three inches is very confining, but here are some shade ground cover suggestions:

variegated bishops weed - green and white variegated leaves, look glowing in shade. Gets up to 6" high, fast spreader.

wild ginger - doesn't quite meet your criteria of flowering or colorful. It does flower, but the little brownish-red flowers are under the leaves and quite inconspicuous. But it is a native ground cover, that makes an elegant looking carpet of heart shaped leaves and it does stay about as low as you specified.

bergenia hybrids - they are about 6" tall foliage, with flower spikes to a foot or so. The hybrids come in all different striking variegated foliage, some very showy.

chameleon plant - about 6" high, striking foliage variegated in green, red, cream, and pink.

Lamium is a small leafed, very low ground cover, quick spreading. Leaves are variegated with white, flowers come in white pink or yellow. I have the Lamium "white nancy" growing under my black walnut tree. It has mostly white leaves and white flowers and is radiant in the shade and spreading well.

hope this helps

Katzpur
Newly Registered

What is the difference really between Vinca Major and Vinca Minor? Is it just size? And how much difference in size is there?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Actually, I believe Vinca major has somewhat larger leaves. That's it as far as I know. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”