Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Tulips and daffodils, id

Many years ago, I planted lots of tulips and daffodils. I have moved them here and there.

Problem is: in the off bloom times, I can't tell one from another.

Sometimes, I have a red next to a white.

They are in two beds where they really need to be removed, but I would like to know which is which color when I lift the bulbs and move them.

I thought of tying a tag on the greenery, saying pink, red, white, etc.
But, I won't lift them until the leaves die back.

I thought of somehow putting a stake in the ground next to them with the color on it. But, popsicle sticks would rot out quickly, I tried them last year. So, I am stumped. I don't want to not know which is which when I move them, I think all the colors in clumps of color would look better than random. And I could share the ones I have alot of the same color of.

Any suggestions?
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You can always get white plastic sticks and mark with magic marker that is water proof, but the difference between tulip bulbs and daffodils is like night and day so if you dig you should be able to tell the difference in an instant, unless you have different colors of each then it will be hard. You can buy flags at HD and mark with marker.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have yellow and white daffodils, some are simple blooms and some are fancy ones.
I have red, white, pink, and fushsia tulips.

Sure I can tell a tulip from a daffodil bulb. What I can't tell is which tulip is red, white or yellow.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have never been aware of any characteristics of individual tulip bulbs that can be used to determine the color the blossoms will be.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I don't know either, that is why I was asking if anyone had a good way to identify them. I had in mind a tag of some sort.

I took photos of them, so maybe that will help guide me, and I am going to just have to make plasic stakes for them, and hope that helps.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”